Para Aramid Fibre Technical Information
Para aramid fibre belongs in a family of synthetic products characterized by high strength and inherent heat and flame resistance.
Para aramid fibre has the following key characteristics for thermal applications:
- Does not burn, melt or drip and self-extinguishes on removal of flame. It will not support combustion.
- It is capable of maintaining its integrity up to 300°C in optimum conditions.
- Has excellent cut and slash resistant properties.
- Is an excellent medium for protecting hot glass from scratch marks.
- Normally yellow in colour, though some black options are available.
Leading brands of virgin para aramid fibres include:
- KEVLAR® is a registered trademark of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company. Please click here to view their PDF for general and technical information.
- TWARON® is a registered trademark of Teijin Aramid B.V. Please click here to view their PDF for general and technical information.
- TECHNORA® is a registered trademark of Teijin Aramid B.V. Please click here to view their PDF for general and technical information.
Para aramid textiles are woven, braided or needle punched using either
- Virgin Continuous Filament Yarns
- Carded and Spun Regenerated Yarns
- High Tenacity Spun Yarns.
For further information on the differences between these three yarn technologies, please click here.