OPAN Fibre Technical Information
OPAN is the industry standard when it comes to fire resistant textile fibres. OPAN is an oxidized, thermally stabilized polyacrylonitrile (PAN) fibre, which because of its unique chemical structure does not burn, melt, soften or drip.
OPAN fibre has the following key characteristics for thermal applications:
- Inherently incombustible and does not burn, melt soften or drip.
- High LOI value (Limiting Oxygen Index).
- Excellent flammability classification.
- High thermal stability.
- Very good chemical resistance.
- High electrical resistivity.
- Low thermal conductivity.
- Excellent handling characteristics, no irritation.
Leading brands of oxidised PAN fibres include:
- PANOX® is a registered trademark of SGL Carbon SE. Please click here for their PDF for general and technical information.
- ZOLTEK OX® is a registered trademark of Zoltek Corporation. Please click here for their PDF for general and technical information.
- PYROMEX® is a registered trademark of Teijin Carbon. Please click here for their PDF for general and technical information.